Wednesday, August 15, 2007

always up for a cabinet shuffle

I’ll admit, I spent a fair amount of time checking cbc.ca and globeandmail.com waiting for Prime Minister Harper’s cabinet changes yesterday. I don’t know what I was waiting for, and I’m unsure if I got it, but one thing’s for sure: fare thee well, Bev Oda.

I’m anti-Oda, and I’m not afraid to say it, though unbiased journalism is smiting me right now. Oda cut funding and didn’t even believe in her own portfolio of women’s rights. Yes, I read Feministing everyday, so that might define me as one of those raging feminists who actually thinks that there is still progress to be made. But Oda didn’t work for any of that.

If you don’t believe in feminism, that’s fine with me. Oda can believe whatever she wants. But if your Cabinet position and responsibility includes working towards women’s rights, it’s probably best to put on a façade and do just that. This was probably Harper’s mistake in the first place (his way of at least ensuring that women’s rights takes a back burner instead of risking a Minister who actually cares about such trivial matters). Either way, I’m happy to see her go, and figure that Josee Verner can at least start with a fresh slate.

The rest of the shuffle was pretty quiet compared to the promotion of Peter McKay to Defence Minister. We’ve all McKay screw up many times before, so we’ll see where this goes. I wasn’t really surprised by this one, and I don’t have the time of day to worry about its consequences. McKay will be himself, to the detriment of us all.



Some visits from family and a trip to Montreal mean I haven’t been posting as much. Thoughts are a brewing and ideas spinning for school next year and this blog.

No comments: